Vegetarian Vietnamese Banh Mi sandwiches are delicious, satisfying and very flavorful. Often times, you don’t even miss the meat. The vegetarian banh mi options are endless, but here is one Lemongrass Tofu Banh Mi recipe that is full of flavorful protein and healthy too.
Lemongrass Tofu Banh Mi
1 pkg of firm tofu.
1/2 cup peanut or vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic
5 table spoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 -2 stalks of fresh lemongrass. When chopped should be about 1/4 cup.
1. Drain Tofu and blot dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Slice into about 1/4 ” pieces.
2. Wash lemongrass and chop bulbs and remaining of stalk that is tender. Place chopped lemongrass in mortar & pestle and continue to crush pieces till they are small and pulverized. Add 2 cloves of garlic in mortar and crush garlic together with lemongrass.
3. In large plastic freezer bag, combine crushed lemongrass, garlic, vegetable oil, soy sauce, salt, pepper and sesame oil. Mix the marinade well, then add slices of tofu in bag. Lay tofu slices in gently on top of each other so that they don’t break. Make sure all marinate coats each slice of tofu.
4. Let marinade for at least 1 hour or until all tofu slices soak up the marinade.
5. Heat up frying pan. Do not add oil to the pan because the tofu is well oiled. Fry slices of tofu until both sides are golden brown with a nice firm crust.
6. Let cool and assemble banh mi.
Use your choice of Banh Mi condiments from the Condiment List.
More Bánh Mì Vegetarian Recipes